Realize the Power of a Gift
The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation has partnered with FreeWill to provide free online tools to make planning and giving as easy as possible.
If you would like to extend your support of the SSMO Foundation to make a lasting impact on the lives of those served by the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon and their sponsored ministries at Valley Catholic School and Maryville, consider a tool below that best supports your intentions.
Leaving A Legacy Through A Gift In Your Will or Living Trust
Interested in helping the SSMO Foundation with our mission but feel overwhelmed by the thought of writing another check or giving up your assets today? A simple, flexible and versatile way to ensure we can continue our work for years to come is a gift in your will or living trust, known as a charitable bequest.
By including a bequest to the SSMO Foundation in your will or living trust, you are ensuring that we can continue our mission for years to come.
Get started through our partners at FreeWill, and create your will and legacy gift today at no cost.
FreeWill can also help you plan beneficiaries for assets not included in your will.
Have you made a gift to us in your estate plans? All you have to do now is fill out this online form
to let us know. We would love to thank you for carrying on the rich spiritual legacy of the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon.
- If you are ready to create your bequest, get started with our partners at FreeWill for free. The process takes 20 minutes, and allows you to make a free plan for your loved ones as you create your gift for the SSMO Foundation. Start your legacy today.
- Contact Patricia Blood at (503) 718-6485 or [email protected] for additional information on bequests or to discuss options for including the SSMO Foundation, Maryville and/or Valley Catholic School in your will or estate plan.
- If you would like to create a bequest through your own attorney, seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include the SSMO Foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation
Address: 4440 SW 148th Avenue, Beaverton, OR 97078
Federal Tax ID Number: 93-1253966
Charitable Stock Gifts
Securities and mutual funds that have increased in value and been held for more than one year are one of the most popular assets to use when making a gift to the SSMO Foundation. Making a gift of securities or mutual funds to us offers you the chance to support our work while realizing important benefits for yourself.
When you donate appreciated securities or mutual funds you have held more than one year to us in support of our mission, you can reduce or even eliminate federal capital gains taxes on the transfer. You may also be entitled to a federal income tax charitable deduction based on the fair market value of the securities at the time of the transfer.
Securities are most often used to support our work in the form of:
An outright gift. When you donate securities to the SSMO Foundation, you receive the same income tax savings that you would if you wrote us a check, but with the added benefit of eliminating capital gains taxes on the transfer, which can be as high as 20 percent. If you are ready to donate appreciated stock, you can do so online in under 10 minutes, no personal information required. Give your appreciated stock today.
If you would like to use a different method, making a gift of securities to support our mission is as easy as instructing your broker to transfer the shares or, if you have the physical securities, hand-delivering or mailing the certificates along with a stock power to us in separate envelopes. (Using separate envelopes safeguards your gift—the certificates will not be negotiable without the stock power.)
To learn more about this form of giving, contact Patricia Blood at (503) 718-6485 or [email protected] for additional information on making a stock gift.
Give through your donor-advised fund
Donor-advised funds (DAFs) can be a tax-advantageous way to give. If you have a donor-advised fund with any provider, please consider making a distribution to Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation. This online tool allows you to communicate your wishes, share the details of your gift, and can help you navigate to your provider.
IRA Charitable Rollover/Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD)
See Your Generosity in Action
If you are 70½ years old or older, you can take advantage of a simple way to benefit SSMO Foundation and receive tax benefits in return. You can give any amount up to $100,000 per year from your IRA directly to a qualified charity such as ours without having to pay income taxes on the money. This popular gift option is commonly called the IRA charitable rollover, but you may also see it referred to as a qualified charitable distribution or QCD for short.
Donating from your IRA takes just 10 easy minutes online, no personal information required. Get started today.
Why Consider This Gift?
- Your gift will be put to use today, allowing you to see the difference your donation is making.
- You pay no income taxes on the gift. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
- If you reached the age of 70½ on or before Dec. 31, 2019, you can use your gift to satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution for the year. If you turn 70½ on or after Jan. 1, 2020, you can use your gift to satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution starting at the age of 72. (Note: The RMD requirement has been waived for 2020, per the CARES Act signed into law on March 27, 2020.)
- Since the gift does not count as income, it may reduce your annual income level. This may help lower your Medicare premiums and decrease the amount of Social Security that is subject to tax.
If you are ready to give from your IRA, create your rollover gift in 10 minutes online, print out the forms, and follow the instructions to send the forms to your IRA custodian. Give tax-free today!
To learn more about this form of giving, contact Patricia Blood at (503) 718-6485 or [email protected] for additional information on making a gift from your IRA.
You may also seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation is now accepting crypto donations
The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation is now accepting crypto donations.
By donating cryptocurrency, you may avoid capital gains taxes, and you’ll get an instant tax receipt for a federal deduction on your next tax return. It takes just a few minutes to follow these steps with our tool:
1. Select the coin you’d like to give (165+ currencies supported)
2. Choose the amount to donate
3. Transfer funds directly from your wallet
4. Receive a tax receipt immediately
Get started today at Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon Foundation – Crypto for Charity.
If you have any further questions about giving crypto, please contact [email protected] or call 503-718-6480.